Yes, I realize this post has absolutely nothing to do with my whole Fearless Creative journey.
Or does it?
Actually, it does….because you see, one of the things I want to work on is taking more care in my body and my appearance. And trying new things. And treating myself.
A Birchbox subscription gives me all that for a measly $10 a month.
I wish I could say that last month I signed up for Birchbox and then began anxiously counting down the days until my box arrived. Truthfully, I forgot about it until this week when I realized it’d be shipping soon. AND THEN IT CAME TODAY. And now I want another one, because it was that much fun.
Sorry, folks – you’re not getting my address that easily.
So I open it up, but because I’m lazy and don’t want to go look for scissors I use a pen, and this is what happens:
First thing I see is the little card that says “HERE’S YOUR STUFF!!!” but I don’t want to cheat, so I don’t read the back yet. And I didn’t take a picture of the back either. Sue me. But Then I picked up the card, and there’s this little scratch-off card, so of course I had to do that…
And you can’t see the scratch-off because it’s on the back, but you can see the goodies poking out, and by this point I’m kind of excited. It’s like a late birthday present. Anyway, so I get down to it and there’s stuff in there….and since this isn’t really intended to be a review of the box, but kinda is, here’s what I got and what I think.
1. Number 4 Super Comb Prep & Protect – a detangling spray for your hair. Gets great reviews online. Smells horrible. I tried it, but haven’t dried my hair so I can’t say for sure what I think, other than it reeks. It DID detangle, so that’s good I suppose. At the worst, I’ll stick it in my travel bag so I don’t have to lug my giant bottle around with me.
2. Benefit Cosmetics Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow! – this is a skin-brightening foundation. At first I thought it was going to be waaaaay too dark, but it seems ok now that I’ve got it on my whole face. Went on well, covers well but isn’t heavy. We’ll see how it does when I have to go out, but at a first pass seems like a great pick! The true test will be in a few days to see whether it breaks me out or not.
3. Coola Classic SPF30 Cucumber Moisturizer for Face – just what it says. Also smells horrible. And the sample is tiny….if I get 3 uses out of this I’d be surprised. Felt fine going on though. Wasn’t greasy at all, and I do like that it’s organic. Overall, meh.
4. Bobby pins – not that I’d call these bobby pins. These are super heavy duty things pretending to be bobby pins. They’re adorable, and they’re heavy, and they stay in my hair. Love them.
5. Juliette Has a Gun Not a Perfume – fragrance sample! So this was actually the most surprising thing in the box for me. At first I was just like, eh, it’s ok, but not me. But I’ve had it on for hours, I took a shower, and I CAN STILL SMELL IT. And I love it. I don’t even know how to describe it. According to Birchbox, “Used as a back note in thousands of fragrances, Cetalox (a synthetic substitute for grey amber) takes center stage in Not a Perfume. The result is elegant, pure, spicy, and completely allergen-free.” Let me say again – I LOVE IT. It’s super expensive, though, so sadly I doubt I’ll be buying the full size any time soon.
So there you have it….my first Birchbox experience.
And so how does this make me Fearless and Creative?
Trying new things….feeling pretty….smelling nice….and since I’m currently battling bronchitis, it couldn’t come at a better time. Maybe it’s a stretch to call it a Fearless Creative-worthy blog. Maybe it’s not. But there it is. And you know, maybe everything doesn’t HAVE to fit the Fearless Creative mold. Maybe this is just me. And that’s ok. Because it was fun, and that’s what matters.
Want your own Birchbox subscription? Click here! http://birch.ly/12xaa97